quote of the whenever

“Home is behind, the world ahead” – Edge of night, LotR song

Friday, August 22, 2014

The giver movie review

So, I went to see the giver yesterday, as mentioned, and I'm doing a movie review, but after the review I will mention the book and differences and what I thought of them. Cause well.... Differences!!! I don't think I've actually reviewed a movie based off a book on here, so...... This is where it'll get a bit weird.

Basic plot (this is in both book and movie): Jonas lives in a community with sameness. At least, complete and total sameness from birth until they reach a certain age (varies in book and movie). Then, their differences are embraced, as they're assigned a job. A job that is perfect for them, a job that is their dream job, they're amazing at it, and it is perfect for them and only them. Jonas has no idea what his job should be. And when the ceremony comes......... They skip Jonas. What did Jonas do wrong? Why did they skip him? Everyone thinks. Then a new announcement comes. Jonas wasn't skipped, he wasn't assigned like everyone else. He was chosen. Chosen to be the new receiver. They weren't hasty this time, they need Jonas to be the receiver. They need him to be strong. They need him to be brave. They need him. *HALFWAY-ISH POINT, STOP NOW IF YOU CARE* Jonas has no freakin idea what to expect. But when he gets there, he gets a memory from the giver. Not a story, but it's like he was there, like he was actually living through the memory. A memory of snow (Must be in michigan! ;p). He enjoys the memory, but he doesn't understand why he has to be brave, what pain could come from snow (oh ye of little faith... Who has also never had to walk home though five gazillion foot snow :p) or heat or color or music or choices? What's so wrong about it all? So, after a while, The giver gives him memories of war, starvation, loneliness, poaching... Pain, suffering, all the bad things that come with life. Then he sees a release, which is what happens to the old, new children that aren't perfect enough, people who request it and people who break the rules. It's a lethal injection. It's death. But the people in the community don't know that. They don't know about death, they play war, and they don't know. But if he gets far enough away from the community he can change that. So when a kid he's attached to is about to be released, he tries to get far enough away to change things. To change everything.

Thoughts: I like the story, but it annoys me, both book and movie. I dunno why.... But I really have to agree that no amount of perfection is worth taking away choice. People say that's where our government is going in a couple hundred? Thousand? Maybe sooner amount of years. I disagree. I think the governments going to be a bit (lot) more like Fallout than the hunger games or the giver. Keep in mind I've only played fallout: new Vegas, so the game might be different than the rest, but I think an apocalyptic future with anarchy and a bunch of little groups who control certain parts instead of a real government.

Eh, I think I'll skip the differences, but it was still very, very, very, very, different. It was slightly annoying most of the differences, like Asher and Fiona's jobs changed and that bugged the heck out of me! And while I liked Lily way better in the movie than the book, I hated movie Asher but liked him (eh, tolerated him?) in the book. Ugh!

Rating: 4/5, for all the changes and general what annoys me with the book/movie

Future brotherhood of steel member
Super-chu
DeWitt
Raven

INVERTED PYRAMID!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'll I'm not gonna shove my opinion in your face without letting you fight back. I am human and prone to lots of error, so you should tell me!