quote of the whenever

“Home is behind, the world ahead” – Edge of night, LotR song

Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Throne of glass review

Hello! And now, without having to explain anything to you, I can review throne of glass.

Plot: Celeana Sardothien is an assassin. Best assassin ever, maybe except Arobynn, the king of all assassins. She's his adoptive daughter, perfect assassin except she got caught. And now, the real king (of the land) wants a champion, someone to deal with traitors and assassins and nefarious plots to kill him and who better to protect him from that than someone who does that? So, he holds a contest where members of his court, his 23 most trusted advisors, sponsor assassins, theives, guards discharged for violence, murderers and anyone else you don't want to be locked alone in a dark room with. The crown prince decides to sponsor Celeana. It's all going well, learning to murder and other useful skills (including maiming and seriously wounding) and then the champion wanna-be's start dying. Remember when I said assassins? Murderers? Remember when I said people you + them + dark room = crap? If this horrible beasty can attack, main, kill and *squeamish may not want to read the next word* eat *squeamish may look again* them, then you may wanna start running. Even if it'll kill you. But, Seleana can't. She makes a friend; Nehemia, a rebellious princess from a recently conquered country. She's fallen in love; the crown prince, Dorian, her sponsor. And mostly, she's been given a chance: at freedom, love, friendship and to finally figure out how she got caught. Who betrayed her. And it all jumbles about in a horror movie written by John green (not literally, but that's my way of saying romance is prominent) with a dash of Harry Potter except their magic isn't open - it's locked in symbols that show up everywhere, and tie everything to everything, swath all the mystery in more mystery and of course, make me want to start drawing these awesome symbols everywhere. I may or may not already be doing so.

Thoughts: those of you expecting a tots adorbs luv story, I really want to punch you in the face. Because really? Tots adorbs luv? Bleh. Also, you'd be wrong. Dead wrong. A hundred miles past a wrong turn in wrongville on the wrong planet. A planet so wrong even the guardians of the galaxy don't go that far! But if you are expecting pure, intoxicating thriller mystery action, you may or may not be in the passenger seat of the car, reading the map. The truth is, it is a mystery (one I guessed everything on, 'Cept the romance..... But the rest, someone better pick up the phone cause I freakin called it!!! :D) it is a thriller/action and it is a love story. But not in the natural sense. I totally loved it, because the romance (Celeana and Mr. Crown prince! I also am slightly in love with the crown prince....) was something I was invested in, which only happens in books where it's a bit more Percabeth or Charley and Reyes (in the earlier books) and a whole lot way (times infinity) less Fourtris (isn't that what they're called? Four and Tris). Anyways, I'm not the super romantic type, and I hate romance that's all sucking face and no leaning more than their first name. I liked this romance because it was cute, funny and I loved the dialogue. And the guy. I totally loved the guy. *sigh* anyways, and while I pretty much called every single thing in the entire book after page 30 (are we entirely sure I'm not psychic?) it was fun and I loved the characters, plot and pretty much everything about it..... Except for a few parts.....
1) the love triangle seemed kinda thrown in there... She has a romance with Dorian (*sigh* gosh, I love him...) and then in the end, it kinda throws a bit of a this guy likes her too in the last like hundred pages, and it just didn't seem like it was too supported. Plus, I hate love triangles, especially when it seems like two people could be in love and the other people can be really good friends. Did it really have to be a love triangle? It didn't seem like it had to be or was really supported. I feel like he could've just accepted Celeana as a person who's trying to be better than when she was an assassin and not made it another romance. With a much less dreamy guy whose moments with her are nowhere near as cute as Dorians (seriously, I don't know why I'm so obsessed with him!) and I like how the bad guy summoning the beast (not saying who it is! Don't worry!) has a dark soul. The evil dude isn't getting off Scott free, they have to give up their soul and go dark. And I think that's all my thoughts.....
Rating: 5/5. It's now added to my list of like 99999999 books tied for my favorite (seriously.)
Assassin reader
Super-chu
DeWitt
Raven

INVERTED PYRAMID!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'll I'm not gonna shove my opinion in your face without letting you fight back. I am human and prone to lots of error, so you should tell me!