quote of the whenever

“Home is behind, the world ahead” – Edge of night, LotR song

Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Nanowrimo

So.... It's been like a few weeks since nano, and I wanted to post my published piece. It's a a bit pervy and I definantly mock one direction in it, so.... Sorry if it offends anyone. So.... Here it is.



It was a dark cold day. Not unusual for fall, but what was unusual was the silence. They never stayed silent for that long. Especially this late. It was 4:42. They were usually out all hours of the day. The most were out around three to anytime the sky was dark and the feeding was good.
“Angel! Come back, we only have like twenty minutes to get back to camp!” My best friend Alice shouted at me.
“One minute, I want a higher view Ace,” I stared up at the tree I was standing under. It went maybe thirty feet high. Very deadly if I fell. Even deadlier if a zombie saw me. Heck yeah I’m gonna climb it.
It didn’t take long to get to the top, but I almost lost my balance, and my gun a few times. When I finally got to the top it was 4:46. There was no zombies within miles. It made me very suspicious. I could see the base.
May our medic was sitting by the door with a gun that looked way too big for her small frame.
There was Jamie, looking through the forest for animals. Hunting was getting harder. We might have to move soon.
Graeme was walking back to base, even though we had almost 9 minutes left, give or take 29 seconds. There was no more movement in the rest of the universe. Or the part we could see. Which was not much. I looked around again and saw a bit of movement to the right, but mostly in front of us.
I pulled out my radio, and called May. “Hey, I see something to the right, I’m gonna go check it out.” I climbed down and ran over there, with Alice following behind. I got to the bushes at the edge of an abandon park and crouched down.
There were five forms at the other end that looked humaniod. Two of them we half dragging half holding up one of them. The other two were limping but not like a zombie. Like they were wounded.
Zombies couldn't be wounded. They didn't feel pain. They didn't feel anything. But they had memories. There was a consciousness locked away in there, but the disease took over the actions. The disease ate away at the brain while keeping them alive. The thing it ate last was their memories and consciousness. While it was eating it had control of the body. By the time it was done it was the body. It was a single command; eat. Kill. Spread. Take over. I shivered. The person was gone, but they were the last to go.
"I recognise them," I said. I didn't remember from where though. They were only twenty feet away, and it was obvious they weren't full zombies yet. I came out from the hiding spot and held up my handgun, a beretta 9M. "Who are you and where do you guys come from?"
A really hot one looked up. "It's been a long time since people haven't recognized us. We're from Britain, but we were here on tour. We escaped Detroit but just recently."
Alice stood up wide eyed. "OMG YOU GUYS ARE ONE DIRECTION!!!!! I LOVE YOU GUYS!!!!"
I recognised them. Before the apocalypse Alice made me learn all their names. The hot one who had spoken first was Harry. Harry and Liam were dragging Louis. And Zayn and Niall were in the back. Niall smiled and spoke, "it looks like we have a fangirl who hasn't died yet."
"You guys have fangirls? Why?" I questioned. I didn't know whether it was to      piss them off or if it was just because who would actually like that crap? "Wait, unless all your 'fans'" I made sure they saw the big air quotes, "had friends like me, who aren't... Well... They actually know how to fight and no, that does not include slapping, how would any survive? Speaking of which, how did you? Ooh, maybe falling in reverse or escape the fate or three days grace or a day to remember or five finger death punch did! That would be an epic zombie apocalypse team. And I wouldn't mind adding in attack attack----"
"Anyways, Louis looks wounded. We should bring him back to base so May, our medic, can help him," Alice said cutting me short. "And getting Angel started on a rant about her bands is not a good idea. Same with anime, video games, superheros, books and most weapons other than guns. You know, nerd things." Alice rudely interrupted. Probably to get back at me for insulting her celebrity crush Niall Horan. Did she ever learn?
"C'mon guys. Nail, Skunk hair, here's some guns," I said and pulled a riffle out from my coat and a handgun from my bust. Limited hiding spaces, okay?!?! I offered them to Zayn and Niall.
"Oh, you know... Neither can handle a handgun, I'll take it," Harry volunteered.
"You wouldn't take advantage of a girls limited hiding spaces would you?" I played the innocent card.
"He would," everyone except Harry and Louis who I'm pretty sure was out like a light said.
"Even when she's holding two guns?" I said, and cocked the pistol. I held his stare, both of us challenging the other to say something.
"Um... I hunk Louis is kinda dying... So.... We should go, don't shoot Harry, Angel!" Alice said.
"Whatever," I lowered the gun and pushed the button on my radio to call May. "May-flower? We found some people. One of thems dying I think, and you'll be happy to see him. In general, but you'll be pissed off if he dies. Just don't scream, okay?"
Silence. It worried me. Finally the radio crackled to life. "Who is it?"
I pushed the button a few times while saying "uhh breaking up..... I'll... Be there in.... A minute...." Everyone stared at me with eyebrows raised.
"Reeeeeaaaaaaallllllll mature," Harry said.
"I don't caaaarrrreeee. Let's gggggoooooooo," I said, glaring at Harry. We walked back to base with Ace flirting with nail over there.
"Raven, I know he radio wasn't really breaking up. Why didn't yo-----" she stopped short and stared at our company. "OH MY GOSH!!! I can't believe it's really you! I mean, I've never seen you in real life, I always wanted to go to one of your concerts and oh, poor Loui! He looks hurt, bring him in ASAP!"
We brought him into the base and into the medics station. Harry and Liam set him on the table. May got to work furiously. I turned and glared back at the boys who weren't dying. "Ace, what should we---" I started but then noticed that Alice had left to lock lips with Graeme and totally ignore the rest of the universe. Ugh. "Okay, never mind then..." I looked the boys up and down critically.
There were a total of eight of us already in the base. There was a total of six bedrooms. There was also a living room, a kitchen, the hospital or medical room and a weapons/fighting room.
Where could we fit five guys who we just found? We were going to leave soon, but we have to wait until Louis was healed. Dang it One Direction! I barely liked them before the apocalypse.
We were scouring the country in search of survivors For what none of us knew. Leave no man behind. Same with women and children. We just had to find them. We picked up the mean girls a few towns back. We started in Ahmeek, MI. In the upper peninsula. We were now around a town called Zeeland, in the lower peninsula of Michigan.
“Where are you from? Like, I know you guys are from Britain but where were you when the apocalypse started… or spread. Or whatever,” I said.
“Detroit. We were there for a concert,” Zayn said.
“Remember? Me and Ace were trying to drag you there?” May said. Ugh, I remember, they were going to, but it was a school day and for once I refused to ditch school. It would've taken hours to drive there and back anyways, and it was only a few hours of crappy singing. Then I would get into the car and get to listen to a few more hours of their crappy CD.
"But Detriots a heck of a long ways away, how did you get over here?" There was something off.
"Well, for the first few weeks we stayed in Detriot looking for survivors. We couldn't find anyone, I think almost everyone was zombies or long gone. We ran too and have been running this way ever since. We got attacked by one a few miles back but not of us got bitten," Harry said. That made sense. There were no survivors in Detriot then... Even if there were they would be hard to find. That made sense too. Big cities were more packed together and it would be harder to find and fight zombies. You would probably turn or die. So were shouldn't spend as much time in big cities, if at all.
"Okay. So, we already have three people in one room, although I'm sure they would love to take you all in too, that's enough. That leaves five rooms with just one person, and two more empty rooms. The other rooms are the kitchen and this room, and no one stays in those. Here are four or you because Louis can't really well..." I glanced at him. "Let's just say he's the exception for not staying in here."
"So... We have to stay in the two empty rooms?" Zayn asked.
"Uhuh. They're the living room and the fighting-weapons-training room. And I come in to train usually when I wake up or if I can't sleep. Sorry if you guys happen to get woken up or killed," I said and started walking out. When they didn't follow me I turned around and glared at them, "you guys coming?"
They followed. Liam and Niall agreed to sleep in the living room, but there wasn't enough room for anyone else. I turned to Harry and Zayn, "Looks like you're stuck in the fighting/training/weapons room."
They looked at each other. "No offense..." Harry started.
"...but we really don't want you to kill us," Zayn finished.
"I wouldn't kill you unless you were in my way or I missed. I never miss," I responded briefly.
"There's a first time for everything," Harry said.
"I might be tempted to miss because you guys are there but that will make my aim worse. I can't afford to be sloppy. I just can't. Besides, I do need a moving target. Wait..." Before we found then there weren't any zombies out. There weren't any zombies out the whole time we were dragging them back to base. Where were they? "How long ago did the zombies stop chasing you. Or you 'lost' the zombies?"
Zayn and Harry shared a look before Harry spoke. "I don't remember the zombies stopping.  When we found you is he first time I registered that they weren't on our tails. It's almost like they disappeared..."
"So... They just disappeared and that didn't strike you as weird or suspicious?" I yelled.
"Because a zombie apocalypse starting isn't already weird. Plus we were just glad to finally have a chance to breathe," Zayn said.
"Thanks for all your help," I said in a bad British accent. I could do way better, but I wanted them to get the point that I was mocking them.
Okay, so since no help was coming from them, I had to figure it out on my own. Zombies were attacking constantly. At least until yesterday. We close the base for the night at 5:00. We go out in the afternoon around 12:00. When we came out today there were no zombies. That left a 19 hour window. So at most the zombies were 19 hours away. That begged the question; where and why?
"Did you just---" Zayn starting interrupting my thought. The only mature thing to do was interrupt back.
"Yeah, I did! So what?" I stared at him so he got the impression I wasn't going to back down.
"So what? So--" he started before Harry interrupted him.
"Guys! We still need to figure out where we're going to sleep and you need to explain yourself," he said and pointed at me.
"Bossy now aren't we," I countered but complied. "May needs to be alone because she gets up frequently to take care of the dead or dying. Or any other medical emergencys, and you guys cannot distract her or Louis will probably die. The room with three people is out which leaves my room, Jamie's room, Ace's and Graemes room. Take your pic."
"Who's Jamie? And Graeme? And Ace?" Harry and Zayn asked.
I sighed and started walking. "Ace is Alice, the girl I was with when we found you guys. Graeme is her boyfriend, and Jamie is the other girl with us. Well, other than the mean girls. Sadly the main plastics name isn't Regina, but she did date a guy with the last name George... And they don't call themselves the plastics or the mean girls."
I was going to find Ace and Graeme when Jamie ran up to me. "Angel there..." She stopped and stared. "Who are they? They look slightly familiar but this far away from our town without us already having seen them?"
"We don't know them personally thank god, but they should be familiar. They're one direction. Or," I had a slight smile on my face. "1D. They kinda proved that. Anyways, boys or things or whatever you are. Maybe it's. This is Jamie."
Jamie was tall, blonde and pure awesomeness which would explain Zayn not getting on my case about the "1D" line. Doubt they would've gotten it anyways. I'm just saying, they set it up with their name. Harry, however, was still staring at me, but he seemed to have gotten my joke.
"Really? It's not like we chose to be called 1D and they don't mean it like that," Harry said.
"Sucks to suck," I said. He glared at me. I grinned. “So… That’s Jamie, one of four choices for roomies,”
“I’ll take it!” Zayn said quickly.
Jamie raised an eyebrow. “Don’t I get a say in it?”
“Sorry love. What do you want?” Zayn said.
Jamie stared for a second. I saved her from an embarrassing decision, and spoke up. “Zayn, if you aren’t too busy falling in love with my bestie, we need to get the rest of the crew together for this decision. Come along, children."
"Really Angel?" Jamie said, but followed. "So... Are like all of them here? Cause I haven't heard any fangirling from Ace or May yet. And lets not even start on the mean girls."
"Who're the mean girls?" Asked a voice behind me. Dang it!
"Um... They're these people who were with us in the beginning... But they died before we met you... Wait, how much of the conversation did you hear?" I asked, turning to face none other than Marissa, head of the mean girls.
"Not much of it but... OH MY GOD, YOU'RE HARRY STYLES!!!! I like, love you guys! I mean, who doesn't?" Marissa said.
"Apparently some people do," Harry said, staring at me. Cause it wasn't obvious who he was talking about.
"Well those people are idiots! You guys are perfect! Especially you Harry," Marisa said.
I tried not to laugh at her "innocents" . Please. I looked at Jamie and mouthed "I betcha she wouldn't last a day."
Jamie giggled and mouthed back, "ha, as if she could last an hour."
I was about to respond when I noticed Harry glaring at me. "Um... Marissa, why don't you go get Jasmine and Hannah."
"Okay, why?" She inquired.
"To decide what to do with the totally amazing people we picked up. Now go," I said. "I'll find Ace and Graeme cracker."
"What do you need us for?" Asked a voice behind me. A medium voice that has a sweet edge too it. I turned around to find the blonde haired blue eyed boy and his blonde haired blue eyed girl. Graeme and Alice.
"Placement of our unexpected guests. On second though, get May, Niall and Zayn too, after she's finished with Louis though. We'll reconvene in the living room... So just take the boys and the... Marrissa, Ashley and Hannah to the living room," I said. "I'll get May."
I started walking to the medical room when a deep, sexy British voice called, "I'm coming which you."
I turned and glared at Harry. "I can walk myself to the medical center, thank you very much."
He came over and picked me up. "I can walk you there too."
"Put me down!" I said and he shifted me to the bridal position.
"Feisty, aren't you?" He grinned and leaned close, while walking and almost crashed me into a wall.
"Do you have any idea how many times that line has been used on me?" I said.
"At least once? Judging on how hot you are, probably a bit more," he said and smiled.
I rolled my eyes and looked he was about to turn left, when the medical room was to the right. "Wrong turn, try again," I muttered. He rolled his eyes and turned the right way. Literally, hahaha. "Put me down, I can walk on my own."
"Many girls would love for me to carry them like this," he said, but set me down. He still kept his arms around me.
"Well I'm not many girls. Lucky for me, because many girls are zombies out to kill everyone and everything right now," I turned and started walking when I felt a force push me into Harry. Again.
Harry caught me, his face next to my ear, his hot breath was on my ear. "I knew you couldn't stay away."
I shoved him off. "Ha! As if. El Diablo Perro did it. He apparently ships us."
"So do I."
Insert epic eye roll here. "I don't. I ship me with someone a little more... Not you. C'mere Link!" I shouted and started whistling for our pet wolf. He survived the apocalypse, and was a very good hunting dog. He was about the size of the average person, and about half the height. I forgot to introduce everyone to him. The evil cutie with a thing for killing good for nothing zombie scum ran up. "Harry, meet Link, aka El Diablo Perro, aka your wingman, our dog."
"Hey puppy, thanks for that," Harry said and pet him.
"Hey, Angel, Harry, what are you guys doing out here? All alone?" May said. She gave me the look and I resisted the urge to tell her off.
"Making out, what do you think? We were getting you for a meeting about where everyone's going to stay," I responded.
"Uh uh," May said unconvinced.
Harry mouthed "making out" and winked. He winked.
I rolled my eyes and started walking, Link on my heels, same with Harry and May. When we reconvened everyone was there, but Ace and Graeme were by themselves in the corner. I walked in and started. "So, as you can see, we have new members. Five, but one of them is dying in the hospital. So, what are we going to do with the other four?"
"They can stay in our room!" Hannah suggested.
"We already have three, we barely have enough room for our shoes," Jasmine sighed. "Unless you gave us a bigger room..."
"No, we were planning on leaving this place soon, anyways," I said.
"Well, Liam and Niall already volunteered for the living room," Harry said,
"Well, there is enough rooms without roommates, I don't want to stay here if I can stay with a actual person in an actual room," Niall said.
"Yeah, why can't we?" Liam volunteered.
"Okay, there's five rooms without roommates, only one gets her own room still. Or his," I said.
"May should have her own room," Alice said. "She is our nurse and has to get up all the time to take care of the wounded."
"So, that leaves four rooms. We'll all take one," I calculated.
"I call yours!" Harry said.
Marisa turned a big red. "Harry, couldn't you at least stay in our room? Or we could take turned with all of you boys!"
I started fake coughing something that sounded like slut. Then when I finally felt okay I said, "Marisa, I'm not too happy about being stuck with him either. I would love for you to take him."
"Well... Zayn already volunteered for my room..." Jamie said. Zayn agreed quite happily and I swear he drooled a bit too.
"So that leaves Niall and Liam. Ace, why don't you take Niall, put the two food maniacs together? That leaves Graeme and Liam," I said. Everyone agreed and we convened for the night. I went to go make dinner.
Harry followed. He managed to stay quiet for a little bit and actually help, but then he got all chatty and sappy. He started talking. "You know, you're kinda mean."
"Niceness doesn't win wars," I muttered. "Now hand me the rice."
"Nobody wins wars mate," he said.
"People win wars. People start wars and win them, people kill and people die. People started this and people will end this. Nobody does nothing, he just sits on his fat butt all day," I groaned. "Now the rice please."
He handed it to me with a look on his face I hadn't seen in a long time. Hope. "You plan on ending this?"
"Of course. With everyone I've gathered and everyone I'm going to gather. And with everyone I've lost," I started and fingered my locket. I quickly pulled my hand away. There's a reason it's called a locket. It's meant to stay locked. Lock + it.
"Who have you lost?" Harry asked, seeming to not have noticed my emotional spasm.
"People. Hit that red button, dinners ready," I stated.
"And yet you won't talk about whoever you lost? Must've been close to them," Harry said and hit the button. I sat down for dinner.

****************************************************************************
I sighed as the hot water cascaded over my body. I shut it off and dried myself off. I wrapped myself in my towel as someone knocked on the door. "What, I'm taking a shower!" I yelled.
"Just wanted to join you," said a British voice.
"Harry!" I shouted. "What do you want?"
"I just said," he responded and I could almost see his grin.
"I mean, why are you knocking on the door when I'm getting out of the shower?" I growled and started putting on my pj's.
"Because I'm staying in your room and need to know where it is," Harry said. "Also, do you have anything for me to sleep in, or just the clothes god gave me?"
I shivered at the though. "Ew! No! I think there are some clothes in the back room, I'll get them when I get out, now wait patiently!"
"You know you take long showers," he stated.
"Maybe so people like you don't bug me."
"Just tell me to bugger off."
"Would you listen?"
"Probably not, but it's worth a try."
"I'll pass," I opened the door, and Harry, who was leaning against it tripped and fell. I laughed and he grinned at me.
"Aw, you're blushing in my presence," he teased.
I rolled my eyes. "Laser tag, seventh grade."
"Seriously? How many other people have hit on you?" He asked.
"Less than you'd think, mostly it was just idiots messing with me," I explained.
"Idiot? Well aren't you just an angel," he started but then realized what he said and corrected himself. "Well, I mean you are, but not in the... Ugh, nevermind."
"No, please go on," I said and held back a laugh.
"Let's just go, shall we?" He said, got up and put out his arm like an escort to a ball in every cheesy fairy tale ever invented.
"We shall," I stated and walked away, leaving his arm hanging in the air.
"Well then..." He said and ran to catch up with me.
I walked to the end of the wall and opened the door. I turned the light on to reveal a room with drawings covering the walls.
There was a bed in one corner, under a percabeth fan made poster. There was a closet, a desk, and a dresser in the remaining four corners. It would've seemed like a lot, but unpacking and replacing was a pain. Of course I would've had to pack up soon too, if not for Louis.
"Whoa, who drew all these?" Harry asked.
"Well, I drew most of them, but some of the older ones are from..." I started but trailed off. How could I tell him! I barely liked thinking about it myself. "Other people."
"Well, they're really good," he said.
"T-thanks," I croaked and fingered my locket. I tried to keep them at bay but tears started streaming down my face.
"Did... Was it something I said?" Harry asked concerned.
"No, I'm just way to sensitive," I said and wiped my tears hurriedly. I walked towards the closet and opened it. "The clothes are in here, they should fit you."
He cupped my face in his hands and wiped my tears softly. "You have a right to cry. You've lost people. We all have. Important, close people. You aren't too sensitive. You just feel like you need to be too strong." He walked into the closet and I closed the door so he could change.
I closed my eyes in an effort to stop the crying. It wouldn't help. Nothing could raise the dead, as every show that every was invented reminds you. As if we needed that. Nothing can raise the dead, with great power comes great responsibility and don't talk to strangers. The one thing the doctor and dean agree on and 1/3 of the things genies can't do. Dead means dead.
Harry walked back out and I took a deep breath and wiped my eyes. "So... Why do you have guy clothes in your closet?"
I sighed. It kinda made me look like a slut. Actually, more than kinda. It really did. "I would tell you, but I really don't want to. Anyways, it has to do with reasons. I don't like reasons and they have nothing to do with your nose so keep it out of my business."
"It doesn't have anything to do with my nose, but it does have a lot to do with my flat mate. Tell me," Harry said.
"I really hate flashbacks..." I warned.
"You also 'hate' me too. Give us both a chance," he said.
"You won't like it."
"I think I'd like anything to do with you."
I don't know why that annoyed me. I'm scared I guess. It couldn't happen again. It couldn't. I glared at him and snapped, "I had a boyfriend, okay?"
He looked a bit surprised by my outburst, then hurt. Told him he wouldn't like it. "Oh. What... What happened to him?"
"He died nossy," I said and jumped into bed and pulled up the covers. "Now good night."
Harry slid in next to me. "I'm sorry."
"Don't sleep here. In my bed," I snapped.
"Then where?"
"Floor."
"What? Why?"
"Because I don't wanna sleep with you. I hate sharing beds and the other kind is only for marriage."
"Ooh, you're a good girl aren't you."
"I will shoot you. Now sleep on the floor and good night."
He didn't say anything and I heard his breath eventually steady as he drifted off into sleep. I tried to sleep for hours until I finally just decided to stay awake. As always. I silently got out of the room and grabbed a monster from the fridge. I walked into the weapons or training room.
"You can't sleep?" Said a voice behind me. I grabbed the closest weapon -Kunai knife, medium sized- and put it to his throat. He put his hands up. "Sorry, I didn't mean to startle you."
I rolled my eyes. "You're awake too."
"Just to make sure you aren't killing people in their sleep or dying or something," he responded.
"Well, I'm not, good night," I snapped.
"To make sure you don't?"
"You're just grabbing at straws," I muttered and grabbed three more kunai's and walked to the wall. I pressed my back against it and took a deep breath and threw one Kunai, ran up the wall and threw one more. I landed in a roll and threw the third. I looked up, all the Kunai were lodged in the targets heads, as per usual.
"Whoa. Like seriously, wow. I mean, that's just amazing!" Harry said.
I rolled my eyes. "It's not that exciting..."
"I can't do that."
"You can't do anything. You can't even sing well."
"Wow. Thanks. Why do you hate us so much?"
"You guys stole day of the doctor."
"You really hate us just over that?"
"Yep," I took the Kunai out of the targets and put my back against the wall about to start.
"Can... Can I try?" Harry asked. I stared.
"Really? You actually want to?"
"Sure, why not."
"Okay, we should just start on hitting the target in the right places before we work on the moving around and crap."
"Okay."
I handed him the Kunai. "Aim for the heads. Hold the Kunai parallel to the target and swing your arm, let go when you're perfectly lined up to the target. I'm gonna stand over here, behind the bullet proof glass."
After two or three hundred tries he finally started hitting the target.

It's unfinished, sorry....
Aspiring writer
Super-chu
Raven DeWitt

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'll I'm not gonna shove my opinion in your face without letting you fight back. I am human and prone to lots of error, so you should tell me!