quote of the whenever

“Home is behind, the world ahead” – Edge of night, LotR song

Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Echoes of Narcissism

So, in fourth hour, one of the walls is a mirror. I spend my time not playing looking at my reflection. Not because I'm all like "dang, I am hot" but because well, I guess I just find it interesting. It got me think of Narcissist, from Greek mythology. In fifth hour, we are reading Romeo and Juliet (o, Romeo! Romeo! Wherefore art thou Romeo! Refuse thy father and deny thy name. And if not, be but sworn by my love and I shall no longer be a capulet) and they made a reference to Echo, from the same story as Narcissist. It was a sine (which happened first hour and I really had to make a bad pun today. Sorry). So, naturally I'm blogging about it. Because ha, I'm not going to be social.
Anyways, the story goes like this (I'm just telling the general story, because there are like a gazillion different versions): Echo was a nymph with a serious thing for gossip. Every story disagrees with who Echo was. Maybe she was quiet, or the"it" girl or always got the last word or maybe even the class clown. Well, Echo gossiped with Hera a lot. Whether or not Echo knew it, while Echo and Hera chatted, Zeus would chase after some nymphs and make demigods. Hera found out about it, and since she couldn't do anything to Zeus, Hera punished Echo. Hera made it so that she could never have the first word, only the last. She could never say what she wanted, only repeat after others. So, Echo went on living when she found Narcissist. Narcissist was hot. Echo one day got Narcissist to speak and told him how she felt, echoing his words, of course. She came out after confessing her love and Narcissist rejected her. Aphrodite got pissed at Narcissist, because he rejected Echo so Aphrodite cursed him to never be able to fall in love, save one person. Himself. He saw his reflection in the water and, like every cheesy love story, fell in love at first sight. With, himself. He refused to leave the side of the water because then he wouldn't be able to see himself, so he stayed there and never ate or drank or slept or anything. He just sat there, staring at himself, in love. Echo just sat there, staring at him, in love.
1) sucks, right? Sounds like every couple from middle school. Girl likes guy, guy likes self.
2) they were mentioned in Heroes Of Olympus: Mark Of Athena. I seriously want a orange tshirt that says "team Leo". Just cause. I like Echo in that book. She loved Narcissist not just because he was hot, but for who he was. She was trying to break Aphrodite's curse on him. And while you probably couldn't see her most of the time, the last glimpse Leo had of her he noticed she was beautiful. But she just faded away.
That's all for my mythology lesson
Are you Narcissist?
Or Echo?
Narcissistic Echo
Super-chu
Raven DeWitt

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'll I'm not gonna shove my opinion in your face without letting you fight back. I am human and prone to lots of error, so you should tell me!